Our History – Timeline of Events
In 1914, our founder, Guy Henry, started the Company in Chicago, Illinois making gas lanterns and accessory gauges for Model “T” Ford Automobiles. By the end of the decade, a number of new products for the refrigeration market were being manufactured, including our first globe and angle valve, and filtration and dehydration devices for refrigeration systems.
During the 1920’s the rapid growth of the refrigeration industry required Guy Henry to move his operation into a two story plant at Grand Avenue & Spaulding Street in Chicago. This change also prompted him to rename his company Henry Valve Company. About this time, we received our first patent – a floating valve seat. We also designed new valves devices for vapour compression refrigerant systems using ammonia, carbon dioxide and methyl chlorides.
The 1930’s brought the difficult times of the depression and it was also the decade that Halocarbon refrigerants were introduced to the industry. By 1939 we had begun to produce products for high pressure refrigeration systems including: a loose filled desiccant drier with dispersion tube design to increase refrigerant drying efficiencies, diaphragm balanced action packless valves, ‘Y’ design shells for driers and strainers and wing cap valves with steel compression flanges and separate brass adapters. Many of these new products were exhibited at the first Refrigeration & Air Conditioning show in Chicago.
The 1940’s was a period of growth for Henry Valve Company. Throughout World War II the Company did its part by providing products to the government including valves for Hi Shock service aboard US fighting ships. Henry Valve was the recipient of many awards for excellence during the war. The war and post war years of the forties were milestone periods in the progress of Henry Valve Company. Ten new patents were issued and a new plant in Melrose Park, Illinois (suburb of Chicago) was completed in 1948 covering over 50,000 sq. ft. With the new facilities, the Company could now satisfy the demands of a rapidly growing air conditioning and refrigeration market.
In the new plant, Henry Valve concentrated on development projects that resulted in 18 new patents. New models like the two-stage driers incorporating loose filled desiccants with a ceramic core for filtering and ductile iron ammonia valves were introduced. Henry Valve’s innovative capabilities had now expanded many times resulting in its catalogue offering more than 750 models of valves and accessories for the refrigeration and air conditioning industry. Certainly a tribute to Guy Henry, founder, whose death in 1955 passed on the continuation of the Henry legacy to his wife Bessie Henry who became the next President of the Company.
The Henry Valve Company continued to grow and was recognised as a leading supplier of quality products to the industry. Through dedicated research, Henry engineers received 12 additional patents over the next ten years including: moisture indicators, relief valves and various patents relating to the drier product line. New products were developed to satisfy the needs of a rapidly growing market for central air conditioning systems that require the ultimate in reliable components. The sixties were progressive years for the Company, it was in this decade that Henry introduced its Golden Bantam line of packless valves and replaceable ‘Dri-Cor’ filter drier and added an additional 22,000 sq.ft to the Henry Valve Company plant.
In 1970 Robert J. Henry became President of the Company and acquired AC&R Components, Inc. of Chicago, Illinois; a leading manufacturer of oil control systems for the refrigeration industry. In 1974 Henry Valve opened another new Melrose Park plant expansion covering 70,000 sq. ft. and relocated AC&R Components, Inc. to a new plant in Chatham, Illinois. Internationally the Company acquired David Scott Company in Glasgow, Scotland and renamed it Henry Valve (UK) Ltd. In the USA, Henry Valve expanded its worldwide profile and it was now a major supplier to the refrigeration industry both in the US and abroad.
In 1982 Robert J. Henry passed away and his wife Lorraine Henry became President. New products and growth for the Henry Valves Company continued with the expansion of facilities in the Unites States and a new manufacturing plant for Henry Valve (UK) Ltd in Glasgow, Scotland. The industry saw new products in the oil control line: fuse sight glass technology, refrigeration ball valves and a line of suction line accumulators and receivers.
1992 Chairman of the Board, Lorraine Henry appointed Robert G. Henry as President. Also, in this decade Henry UK was renamed Henry Europe Ltd and we acquired another company; Chil-Con Products Ltd of Brantford, Ontario Canada. Chil-Con has been designing and manufacturing heat exchangers since 1967. This acquisition meant that our product line now included: condensers, heat exchangers, expansion liquid coolers and other heat transfer components.
The new millennium saw us refocus our vision and commitment to the future and in January, 2000 we were renamed Henry Technologies. In 2005, Henry Technologies was purchased by Hendricks Holdings. This change in ownership gave us the financial support to continue to improve products, increase market share and develop new opportunities.
In 2010, the company entered into a joint venture with Heldon Products, a leading Australian manufacturer of refrigeration and air conditioning components with production facilities in Australia and China. In 2014 Henry completed the purchase of Heldon, now renamed Henry Technologies Pty Ltd. The addition of these additional plants has allowed Henry Technologies to extend its global presence and serve new markets in Australia, China and South East Asia.